Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Reformation or Revolution?

HollyW. and I have been chatting about the name Reformation, she thought maybe it should be called Revolution. Here are our thoughts, and the conclusion we came to.

What do you think? What is God speaking to you about the word Reformation?

Holly said,
want to be part of a revolution...sorry, but Reformation sounds like a monk named Martin Luther doing a new thing. (I'm a big fan of Martin Luther, but you get the point).

I really do think that this is part of that army.

Prophetically, I sense it so strongly.

I will read your posts and give honest feedback. To tell you the truth, I started my blog as a way to get me working towards my book. I'm going to call it "Confessions of a Redeemed Diva." It is a book that is going to stir and start an awakening in the hearts of women who are thirty and under. I know that God is wanting me to write openly and honestly about my heart and have it serve as an example for others. I don't say that in a haughty way but in a "I'm confident in God" way. He's asked me to do it, and so I'm obeying. Right now, I'm getting more comfortable with the idea and I'm putting stuff out there, and just pursuing God about how to write, what to write, etc.

It's exciting isn't it, to know that you are going to do something that is going to profoundly impact people's lives? I wake up each day knowing that God is creating in me a world changer--I used to be freaked out but I'm getting used to the idea and starting to look forward to it.

I don't know why I'm sharing all this--or maybe I do?--but at the beginning of the year a friend told me that I was going to speak before women about God. You know, Cheryl, four years ago, I tried everything to make that a reality. I tried to get the pastor's attention, tried to be all spiritual...and then I told God I was content and fulfilled to just impact my sphere of influence in order to start a revolution.

But then as my friend spoke these words, I knew it to be true. I know that God is going to show me His favour and bring me before people I would never have dreamed of being before. I was freaked out by it, but now I see that this is my opportunity to grow and to become diligent in pursuing Him and His goodness.

I don't know how you connect with it, but you do. And I feel God giving me the ok to share this with you. I sense that God is raising up women who will walk generationally together...especially in Canada. We will be no names who have grabbed the hands of our spiritual mothers and daughters and who are whispering the song of revolution. I heard a great quote about women, "Be kind to women, they make up one half of the the population and are mothers to the other half!" Prophetically that made me aware of the role we as women play in the revolution. Not only will we take ground, but we hold the hearts of the warriors and the priests who battle for the Lord. Now is the time for us to walk with the generations, to let the older women teach the younger women.

I say, "Bring it on".

Cheryl said,
Holly. I am not sure if I can change the name of my blog to Revolution. I think once you set it up......... It is what it is. So I need some insight into this. Also I want to dialouge about the differences between the 2 names. The reason I like Reformation is not only because it represents a change for the better, and about-face, but because it represents a religious movement. And I would love to be a part of starting another brand new one for women. Can you read these and comment more? I’m with you on all you have written about women. And I do think you will write a book.

Here is what Reformation means.......

Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus - Cite This Source
Main Entry: conversion
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: change
Synonyms: about-face*, adaptation, alteration, born again*, changeover, exchange, flip-flop*, flux, growth, innovation, metamorphosis, metanoia, metasis, modification, novelty, passage, passing, permutation, progress, qualification, reclamation, reconstruction, reformation, regeneration, remodeling, reorganization, resolution, resolving, reversal, switch, transfiguration, transformation, translation, transmogrification, transmutation, turning



Reformation
noun
1. improvement (or an intended improvement) in the existing form or condition of institutions or practices etc.; intended to make a striking change for the better in social or political or religious affairs
2. a religious movement of the 16th century that began as an attempt to reform the Roman Catholic Church and resulted in the creation of Protestant churches
3. rescuing from error and returning to a rightful course; "the reclamation of delinquent children" [syn: reclamation

Main Entry: alteration
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: change
Synonyms: about-face, accommodation, adaptation, adjustment, amendment, conversion, correction, difference, diversification, exchange, fixing, flip-flop*, metamorphosis, mid-course correction*, modification, mutation, reformation, remodeling, reshaping, revision, shift, switch, switch-over*, transformation, transmutation, turn, variance, variation


Here is what Revolution means................


an overthrow or repudiation and the thorough replacement of an established government or political system by the people governed.
2. Sociology. a radical and pervasive change in society and the social structure, esp. one made suddenly and often accompanied by violence. Compare social evolution.
3. a sudden, complete or marked change in something: the present revolution in church architecture.
4. a procedure or course, as if in a circuit, back to a starting point.
5. a single turn of this kind.
6. Mechanics.
a. a turning round or rotating, as on an axis.
b. a moving in a circular or curving course, as about a central point.
c. a single cycle in such a course.
7. Astronomy.
a. (not in technical use) rotation (def. 2).
b. the orbiting of one heavenly body around another.
c. a single course of such movement.
8. a round or cycle of events in time or a recurring period of time.
9. Geology. a time of worldwide orogeny and mountain-building.

Main Entry: revolution
Part of Speech: noun 1
Definition: major change
Synonyms: anarchy, bloodshed, cabal, coup, coup d'etat, crime, debacle, destruction, disorder, foment, guerrilla activity, innovation, insubordination, insurgency, metamorphosis, mutiny, outbreak, overthrow, overturn, plot, radical change, rebellion, reformation, reformation, reversal, revolt, rising, row, shake-up, shift, strife, strike, subversion, transformation, tumult, turbulence, turmoil, turnover, underground activity, unrest, upheaval, upheaval, uprising, uprising, uproar, upset, violence
Antonyms: status quo

Holly wrote:
well... after seeing that revolution means bloodshed and anarchy, I'd like to rethink my earlier statement ! =) haha!

You know, there's a time to be militant, but that usually comes after refromation. The definition of refromation that stood out to me was rescuing from error and returning to a rightful course.

Reformation (sp?) is an idea that sounds gradual where revolution sounds like you are in attack mode. I think that Reformation fits. You know, I've heard so much talk about revolution not too much about Reformation. Revolution is more of a, pardon the expression, "sexy" term. It sells. It's an idea people can get passionate about because the word itself evokes passion.

But I like this idea that reformation has of 'rescuing from error and returning to a rightful course.' We're allowing God to rescue a piece of ourselves and return it to a rightful course. Revolution would just be overthrowing what was in place before. There's a gentleness to the word Reformation that speaks of God's kindness...and it is His kindness that leads us to repentance.

I'm up for being a Reformer!

5 comments:

Tamatha said...

oh yeah..that's my friend Holly!lol And yes and amen.....bring on the reformation!:o)

Rhonda said...

Hi Cheryl

You will find it at:

http://www.bloggerschoiceawards.com

under Best Religious Blog

Or, go to the site and do a Search

Anonymous said...

wow cool thanks Rhonda!
I'll check it out!

Nana Cheryl said...

Yes, Reformation is the right word. As I was reading, I also thought about "redeem" and I looked it up. Jesus DEFINITELY fits the definition as our Redeemer!! One aspect was “to change for the better (Reform)” Cool!!

REDEEM: transitive verb

1 a: to buy back: REPURCHASE b: to get or win back
2: to free from what distresses or harms: as a: to free from captivity by payment of ransom b: to extricate from or help to overcome something detrimental c: to release from blame or debt: CLEAR d: to free from the consequences of sin
3 to change for the better: REFORM
4 REPAIR, RESTORE
5 a: to free from a lien by payment of an amount secured thereby b (1): to remove the obligation of by payment (the United States Treasury redeems savings bonds on demand) (2): to exchange for something of value (redeem trading stamps) c: to make good: FULFILL
6 a: to atone for: EXPIATE (redeem an error) b(1): to offset the bad effect of (2): to make worthwhile: RETRIEVE
synonym: RESCUE

I say “Reformation” is the right word. :o)

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, great research!!

I love the word Redeem. I always say God is the ONLY one who can redeem a situation and everything He does has a purpose of Redemption.

I love it that the 2 words are connected. This is exciting.

Thanks for your timely insight!!!