Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Let Go and Let God!

Ha! How many times have we heard that one! So easy to say, and not so easy to do!

God reminded me of it again today. I'm back at day one......... was doing well, but then my son decided to be a chef again, and lose a lot of focus in the process, and mess up the kitchen. Well, needless to say, it only takes my grumpy mood that I seemed to have had today, to blurt out a complaint. The grumpy mood is never someone else's fault............ its what I have chosen to focus on to take me down a road to become frustrated and eventually grumpy.

Choices, choices, choices. Sowing and reaping of what we choose. Its a continual journey with God. Often I choose to reject His easy answer, and hold onto things. It really never pays off.
I really gotta learn to "Let Go And Let God" a whole lot more. God keeps bringing this up, time and again, to help me learn from Him.

"Letting go" means I've got to give up the need to be right, or justified, or have it turn out the way I think it should, etc. Kinda sounds controlling huh? Yup! He's helping me let go of control, and inviting me to the sweetness of surrender.

I'm beginning to see that if I choose to let go, and let God, I can move forward into the greater purposes that He has for me.
Choosing not to "let go" makes me stuck, and limits what He can do. He is a very kind, and gentle God and won't force me beyond my will.

I must always remember that He already sees any injustices, wrong-doings etc., but He alone gets to judge the thoughts and intents of the hearts of man. Never me. Thank God!
He's got the infinite, agape, unconditional love thing down pat!

All I have to do is to choose to let go of the power to reason things out, let Him handle it, and choose to walk in His love.

There are some great lyrics in one of Graham Ord's songs that sums it all up for me.

"You are God, I am not, Oh sweet revelation" Oh yes it is! lol!

My friend Jen has been on a really cool journey with God about choices, and she has some great insight. She said:

God has been speaking to me about choices as well Cheryl.
Choosing my reactions...
Choosing forgiveness...
Choosing to move forward...
Choosing to let others off my hook...
Choosing to see what He sees...
Also standing by the choices I have and will continue to make. Taking ownership of choices that are mistakes.
Choosing to keep getting up, and reaching higher...
Our choices can be so empowering...free will really is a gift!

Thanks for the reminder Graham and Jen! And Matt, thanks for the awesome gourmet pizza!! You're a star chef!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Cheryl...
I really wish we could sit down for tea...I feel like we are on similar paths right now. I am sure very different tools that are being used to refine us, but your path seems to be step for step what God is doing in me...Bless you, because if I am right....It doesn't feel very good! We'll get there, though, because that is who we are..."never-give-uppers"!

love you Cheryl...I hope my husband works out this July trip he mentioned...then we can have tea!

Amy said...

As I am indeed a controlling person, this is very difficult for me as well...what a journey everyday can be....
Thanks Cheryl for being real.

Anonymous said...

I am glad I'm not alone. I am grateful for real friends who are out of control too!!!

There is a great article written by Graham Cooke about transition on our church website. You'll all probably want to read it.
Here's the address...............
Oops I guess it won't be on line til next week.

The web address is

www.newlife.bc.ca